For the last 75 years, four generations have enjoyed Noah’s Hill as a place to escape into nature, to have fun in and on the water, and explore the beautiful North Shore. Now, this family compound and weekend retreat is available for the first time since 1945. This 43± acre hilltop property offers the unparalleled privacy and seclusion one would expect to find only in a remote location – yet it is within walking distance to the coastal town of Essex, Massachusetts and just 30 miles north of Boston. Surrounded by nature and full of wildlife, the property offers a regionally rare combination of privacy, recreation, natural beauty, and timeless character. Consisting of two primary residences, a cottage apartment, a European-style barn, and a fenced tennis court, Noah’s Hill is tailor-made for those who enjoy an active outdoor lifestyle and a variety of hobbies. Read on for seasonal highlights and stories from the sellers.
“Some of the best Noah’s Hill memories begin with Friday nights that morph into weekend parties with friends or planned birthday and holiday overnights at the main house.
Others begin more routinely with the morning wake up of happy songbirds. The beautiful solace and oneness with nature here is enchanting. Truly a peaceful escape when you have it to yourself or share it with loved ones.”
Summer: With your own private dock with pier and seasonal float, it’s never been easier to get on or in the water. There are endless opportunities to take advantage of on the water plus a great setting to enjoy day or night.
- There is no better swimming spot than off your own dock! Jump in and then explore the Essex River by paddleboard, kayak, canoe, or small powerboat. For larger boat needs, Noah’s Hill is minutes to marinas downtown.
- Stargazing isn’t something you get to enjoy in the city! Here, you can look to the skies on warm summer nights for a fun (and educational) family night.
- Try your luck fishing from the dock or the water.
- Enjoy the wildlife: Look for Egrets, Osprey, Mute Swan, Great Blue Heron – and at the mouth of the river, you may even spot a seal! In 2020, wildlife encounters have included a bald eagle by the dock, a young fox family, a rare white squirrel, and large white-tailed deer.
“We have trained over 20 Thoroughbred racehorses to win races in Saratoga, Boston, and farther afield. In 2020, our broodmare gave birth to a beautiful colt foal in the field by the river on the Hill. She was a champion racehorse and hopefully, this baby will turn out to be one too in the future.”
Fall: There’s nowhere quite like New England in the fall. With the geographic variety at Noah’s Hill, there’s so much to keep an eye out for this time of year.
- Watch the seasons change – the transition of the tranquil marshland and woodlands from shades of greens to oranges, reds, and browns.
- Meander on the footpath through the woodlands and grassy wetlands, down to the dock and marshland of the Essex River, and up to the highest elevation on the property (and one of the highest in all of Essex) – offering views extending to Crane Beach, Plum Island, and the Ipswich Bay.
- Walk to town and enjoy local beers at the new Great Marsh Brewery, lunch at CK Pearl, or enjoy some fried clams from JT Farnhams or Woodman’s!
- Birding season for migrating land birds – ducks, loons, and raptors return back to New England for the Fall.
“While living at Noah’s Hill, we have developed a steady Mindfulness meditation practice as the tranquility and beauty lends itself beautifully to feeling centered.”
Winter: One of the best features of Noah’s Hill is its proximity to the city. And yet, when you want to escape to an idyllic and private winter wonderland, you don’t have far to go to get to this tranquil property. Here you can:
- Cross-country ski in your own backyard – Noah’s Hill has an excellent loop for all to enjoy (dogs included). Snowshoeing is a favorite pastime here, too!
- Cozy up by the fire and enjoy winter sunsets over the Essex marshland.
“A friend of mine who taught us tennis nicknamed the property ‘Healing Hill’. During her lessons much to the children’s delight we were often interrupted by wildlife watching us or passing through.”
Spring: At Noah’s Hill, life is centered around getting outside and enjoying the great outdoors. As the weather warms up, you’ll see the whole property come to life.
- Live sustainably: Grow your own vegetables, raise hens to produce eggs and honeybees to produce unique Noah’s Hill Honey, or tap maple trees to make syrup!
- Gear up for Spring tennis matches on the hardcourt
- Gather around: a perfect spot for hosting a family wedding!
- Get the garden going: create a beautiful garden to wander through
- Watch the storms roll in. Great rainbows, cloud formations, and lightning shows can be enjoyed from the hilltop of Noah’s Hill.
“A small movie company from Los Angeles chose Noah’s hill as a backdrop for their drama ‘The Catch’ which features all the beautiful panoramic views of Crane Beach and the meandering Essex River. The movie was recently featured in the Austin Film Festival.”
About Essex, Massachusetts
While Essex is a small community of approximately 3,700 residents, it is robust in its character. Known for its seafood, antique shopping, restaurants, historic museums, and a bit of an artistic flair, this “hidden gem” on Cape Ann is perfect for any lifestyle.
To learn more about Noah’s Hill or about life in Essex, contact Nicole Monahan and Hannah Barker.