Although Manchester, MA is far from “new” (first settled in 1629 by Europeans and officially incorporated in 1645) and not exactly “new” as an escape from the heat of Boston (It became a sought-after summer colony starting in 1845 when Boston-based poet, Richard Dana, built his summer home), we are definitely seeing a resurgence of interest. Particularly from those who want to be in Massachusetts, on the ocean, with an easy commute to Boston/Logan and who do not want to deal with the higher prices of the better-known and more congested oceanside areas of coastal MA.
Our recent sale on Old Neck Road was to a family who wanted quick access to Singing Beach and the village of Manchester with shops, restaurants, and a good school system. Oh, and did we mention waterfront real estate in Manchester can be up to half the price of other coastal MA towns?
Manchester-by-the-Sea has a treasure-trove of offerings (see our previous blog highlighting some of our favorites), and has quite a few impressive properties for sale.
Our newly-priced listing at 33 Proctor Street on Manchester Harbor is considered the best top-tier oceanfront home for sale in the area.
Here’s what some recent visitors had to say about it:
Why all the interest?
- It has vacation-home amenities – on the water, with a dock: paddle, kayak, sail, fish off the dock. Manchester Yacht Club offers youth sailing programs to the public and there are weekly band concerts in the summer at the Oceanside park
- It’s close to the action in Manchester Village; stroll into town for coffee or a meal
- Boston or Logan is an easy drive via car or commuter rail
- There’s plenty of room for family and friends. The guest house is great for grown kids, in laws, or rental income
- Walk to private Long Beach (available to residents on Smith’s Point) or to the public Singing Beach (not just for residents), 0.9 miles away
Manchester, MA Waterfront Real Estate Quick Facts
- There are currently 8 waterfront properties in Manchester for sale
- In the last five years, only 8 have traded in Manchester, on the water
- Proctor Street is the only property on the market on the water with a guest house and deep-water dock
- Manchester Public schools are top in the State. The high school is number 5 in the state per Boston Magazine
If you have not been to Manchester-by-the-Sea recently, come visit. If you are in the market for an amazing waterfront property call us for a private tour.
Principal, Director of North Shore